Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, April 27, 2013

Tony Bennett’s Desperate, Disengenuous Defense of Common Core | Scathing Purple Musings

Tony Bennett’s Desperate, Disengenuous Defense of Common Core | Scathing Purple Musings:


Tony Bennett’s Desperate, Disengenuous Defense of Common Core

Indiana Deals Major Blow to National Education Standards — American Principles in Action

Sun Sentinel reporter Anthony Man was in attendance when Florida Education Commissioner Tony Bennett made a speech to Broward Workshop’s State of Our County forum on April 12. Bennett focused his speech on the sudden and unexpected debate that’s emerged on Common Core Standards.
“I would like to start my comments today around common core. I want to start by saying I acknowledge there are people on both sides of this issue.
“Let’s be very blunt about it. There are people on both sides of this issue. There are people who fear common core, and there are those like myself and [Broward School Superintendent] Bob [Runcie] who embrace common core…
“I acknowledge that there are differences. I am going to very simply say that if you want to know