Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Teacher’s resignation letter strikes a nerve with equally frustrated peers around the country | Get Schooled

Teacher’s resignation letter strikes a nerve with equally frustrated peers around the country | Get Schooled:


Teacher’s resignation letter strikes a nerve with equally frustrated peers around the country

The resignation letter penned by a Syracuse, N.Y., social studies teacher is getting a lot of reaction since it hit the web this week.
Westhill High School teacher Jerry Conti sent this letter to the Board of Education. (He also posted it on his Facebook page, which is why so many people have read it and sent it around.)
Here it is:
It is with the deepest regret that I must retire at the close of this school year, ending my more than 27 years of service at Westhill on June 30, under the provisions of the 2012-15 contract. I assume that I will be eligible for any local or state incentives that may be offered prior to my date of actual retirement and I trust that I may return to the high school at some point as a substitute teacher.