Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, April 26, 2013

Revealing Thoughts From Former TFA Teacher | Larry Miller's Blog: Educate All Students!

Revealing Thoughts From Former TFA Teacher | Larry Miller's Blog: Educate All Students!:


Revealing Thoughts From Former TFA Teacher


4/26/13
By Lauren Blair Aronson
Unlike most of the people who drop out of Teach For America, as I did, I really like and respect TFA.
I think TFA does great and important work—but I also think it can do better. While internally TFA is a model of reflective practice, at times the organization has resisted outside criticism. This is not unreasonable, as much of the criticism leveled against it is less than constructive. But as a not-so-successful corps member who now works in education policy, I think I can offer some constructive criticism from my perspective as both a TFA insider and outsider.
Here’s the deal: More than two years ago, I joined nearly 48,000 people in applying to TFA. I was head over heels for the cause and proudly accepted my offer. I remained in New Orleans, where I had attended Tulane University, to serve a community desperately in need of great teaching.
I didn’t stay, though. I didn’t fulfill my two years as a corps member or as a 4th grade teacherhttp://s.skimresources.com/img/cbuddy2.png at Nelson