Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Jon Stewart ridicules bill linking welfare to good grades

Jon Stewart ridicules bill linking welfare to good grades:


Jon Stewart ridicules bill linking welfare to good grades

(www.barstoolsports.com/)
(www.barstoolsports.com/)
I recently wrote a post about a Tennessee state senator who has advanced legislation that would cut welfare payments to families whose kids get really bad report cards and test scores.
The senator is Stacey Campfield, a Republican, who was quoted in the Knoxville News Sentinelas saying this was a great way to “break the cycle of poverty.”
Here’s Jon Stewart’s new take on this from “The Daily Show.” He says in part:
Little Billy is poor, and he’s not doing very well in school. I have an idea. What if we made him poorer and told his family it was his fault?

‘Last semester my grades were bad because I was hungry and cold but this semester I