Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, April 14, 2013

UPDATE:New York State Assessment + I’m a teacher and I’m tired!: by Elaine Rybski – @ the chalk face

I’m a teacher and I’m tired!: by Elaine Rybski – @ the chalk face:


A new creative agenda for education required

By Bruce Hammonds

Over the weekend thousands of teachers throughout New Zealand expressed their anger about their dissatisfaction about government’s plans for education.
I wonder what the public think about it all?
Don’t get me wrong I am pleased that teachers have decided that ‘enuf is enuf’.  The government spin doctors have done a good job spreading the message that schools are failing with their simplistic ‘one in five failing’ – a claim that happily ignores the demeaning results ofpoverty on a growing percentage of New Zealand families. The government’s claim has created in the public mind an unfounded sense of crisis in education
As well the Novapay teacher salary disaster, while it has gained public sympathy, has distracted attention from the real issue – teaching and learning.
Teachers, it seems, have woken up to the true agenda of the government which began with the introduction of ‘Tomorrows Schools in 1986.
The agenda is summed up in the acronym GERM (Global Education Reform Movement) – an agenda that will, when in place, will lead to the privatisation of education – the beginnings of which are to be 


A middle school student’s version of a New York State Assessment

From Sophia in Upstate New York:
* for those who may not be aware, the young lady who created this excellent commentary used the exact look and format of the New York State ELA Assessment. (Click to enlarge the images)
Screen shot 2013-04-14 at 9.45.11 PM
Screen shot 2013-04-14 at 9.45.24 PM
Screen shot 2013-04-14 at 9
Screen shot 2013-04-14 at 9.45.42 PM
Screen shot 2013-04-14 at 9.45.49 PM



I’m a teacher and I’m tired!: by Elaine Rybski

“I write this in a state of exhaustion which is unfamiliar to me, but which seems to be shared by colleague/friends with whom I shared the week of testing from which we are taking a short break (i.e., weekend).
I am used to being tired, as teaching (combined with parenting, and all of the rest of life we do) is pretty all-consuming and energy-demanding. However, at the end of a “normal” (whatever that has become) week of teaching, there are always at least a few high points on which to look back — you know, the “aha” moments, or the pleasure one can take at seeing children from diverse backgrounds working together on challenging projects, and on and on. Most teachers I know feel blessed to be able to spend the time we spend with our students, and our stories are so often full of little triumphs in which we take collegial, shared pleasure.
After school on Friday I sat with a few good friends as we debriefed just a bit following this PSSA week. It began