Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Freestyle Week: Just Getting To The Test Is A Challenge [Common CorrrUGH] | The Jose Vilson

Freestyle Week: Just Getting To The Test Is A Challenge [Common CorrrUGH] | The Jose Vilson:


Freestyle Week: Just Getting To The Test Is A Challenge [Common CorrrUGH]



finishlineThis week, I’m writing blog posts based on people’s submissions to my Facebook page right here. My second one is based on online friend Theresa DeVore’s suggested title, “How can we keep our compassion in this era of high stakes accountability? When told to make sure test scores are raised but in the classroom students are not motivated. I have had to personally remind myself that I teach children and not to become frustrated or angry at them.” Let’s go …
On normal days, I teach my more difficult class starting at 8am sharp.
OK, that’s not exactly true. It’s more that I start telling them to sit down, take out a pencil or something to write with, open up a notebook, get them to start the “Do Now,” wait for the daily pledge of allegiance and morning announcements to finish, and THEN get started.
Yet, that’s what I’m doing. The first few students trickle in with shuffling feet, a few outbursts, and the unwrapping of a few sandwiches from the delis across the street. I’d rather not choose between them having breakfast in my class so they could function properly or not having breakfast so they could disrupt everyone else’s learning.
I didn’t sign up for this, either. At least not explicitly.
Today’s New York State ELA test broke from our traditional schedule, letting me proctor 18 English Language Learners, many of whom I teach or have known from different school activities. Unlike my usual mornings, the lack of sound is deafening to an 80s baby used to a little din in his ear. The ELA test hung over their nervous