Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, March 10, 2013

The Oxygen of Homeschooling. – @ the chalk face

The Oxygen of Homeschooling. – @ the chalk face:


The Oxygen of Homeschooling.

From http://treehornexpress.wordpress.com
Australian Ken Woolford is a strong advocate for learning at home and the importance of the family in developing effective, enthusiastic, long-life learning skills. Ken was a Principal who sent back the boxes of testing material when it arrived at his school and who, with wife Suesi, tried to open their own school in Toowoomba but were ‘outrageously stomped on’. Then, back in the classroom, he says. “ I continued my twice a year one hour conferences out of school time [in their homes if necessary] with parents although it was not appreciated by fellow teachers who were happy with the 15 minutes a family in school time, where ‘the parent came to listen to US’.
I knew that the concept of ‘non frigid’ education needed to be ‘sold’ and to be ‘sold’ again. I also believed that parents needed to be shown that I believed that their role in their children’s education was prime and paramount. I worked very hard at this for over ten years. I found that as long as I could maintain this type of conferencing my