Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Student Voice

Student Voice:


Lee Nave Jr. – Educational Progression in Ethiopia

Education abroad gives you experiences you would have never dreamed of seeing. In my travels over the years, I have been able to witness the education systems of countries such as Japan and Honduras. These experiences have allowed me to learn how these systems function as well as the magnitude of their student voice empowerment or lack thereof.
A few weeks ago, my travels brought me to the country of Ethiopia. Before this trip my only knowledge of Ethiopia stemmed from having an Ethiopian relative that I attended cultural fairs with in Seattle many years ago. I never once knew about the education system of neither Ethiopia nor the progressive nature it has taken in the last few decades.
The school system of Ethiopia is growing at levels that were unimaginable thirty years ago. About thirty years ago, the entire country had only two universities; now there are over thirty. Also the Ethiopian government has made education a right not a privilege for its entire population. This includes female students and some of the