Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Kate Anderson and John Deasy: A Love Story?


I'm a RIF'd teacher who got laid off by LAUSD in June. I am a PUBLIC SCHOOL teacher to my core, and I am determined to fight my way back into the classroom. I feel like Kate Anderson is living in a bubble, completely oblivious to challenges we face in our classrooms and communities. Her mommy persona belies the fact that she worked as corporate lawyer (at a firm founded by Charles Munger, architect of Prop 32) and defended tobacco companies; she has also taken big money from people who want to privatize public education in our city (Eli Broad and his minions). I get the feeling that she wants to create privileged schools for privileged children, sheltering them away from students with special needs, those who speak English as a second language, and those who are "hard-to-teach." What will come of these unwanted children in Kate Anderson's LAUSD? Will they be quarantined in the few remaining public schools overseen by the School Board? Will their teachers be subjected to scientifically bogus evaluations based on standardized test scores? If this woman is elected to the School Board, I have no doubt that we will see even greater racial isolation and instability in our public schools. We will see more segregation, more flight to charters, more political attacks on passionate, hard-working teachers like me... What are your thoughts?