Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, March 2, 2013

Daily Kos: A very brief thought on teaching, writing and more

Daily Kos: A very brief thought on teaching, writing and more:


A very brief thought on teaching, writing and more

A woman with whom I became friends had once told me that I brought out the gentleness in her.  In fact, as I told her recently, because she reminded me of my own gentleness, all I did is provide a space in which she could be free to bring it out of herself.
In a sense that is how I see the teaching role, both in the classroom and through my writing.  All I can do a provide a space for the other person to bring out what is in him or her, at least potentially.  I can expose, provoke, challenge, but cannot force.  In that sense teaching is like love - it is a gift freely given and then it is up to the recipient to do what if anything with it he may choose.
Yes, I am getting somewhat philosophical as I age.  I think I am entitled.