Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, March 25, 2013

Chinua Achebe and Finding The Language For My Experience | The Jose Vilson

Chinua Achebe and Finding The Language For My Experience | The Jose Vilson:


Chinua Achebe and Finding The Language For My Experience


Chinua Achebe
Chinua Achebe
When Chinua Achebe passed away, my thoughts immediately took me to the fifth grade book fair. There, I found the cover of a book I found interesting. Knowing nothing about the actual book, reading level, or histories behind it, I decided to buy it for what was probably five bucks from my school’s library.
Shortly after the book sale, we had African dance classes for the semester. The volunteer dance teacher, a curly-haired Black woman, took one look at my book and yelled, “Can I borrow that?!” Not knowing the value of the book (or the rarity of its cover), I said, “OK …” She promised that, after her travels, she’d bring it right back.
So gullible.
I got back a version of the book with an abstract of a rooster on it. I was so disappointed because I expected the actual book I purchased back in my hands. So, instead of reading it like I wanted to, I left it on my bookshelf for the better part of six years.
When I finally re-opened it, I did so to discuss a historical perspective about Blacks in America, and my new-found understanding of my African roots. I didn’t have the language for the nudges of covert prejudice I felt on the street and in school, but I knew Chinua spoke to it in this book.
Shortly after turning in that book report, my social studies teacher, a brawny white man who pretended not to