Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Cheating or collaboration? Do students really not know the difference? | Get Schooled

Cheating or collaboration? Do students really not know the difference? | Get Schooled:


Cheating or collaboration? Do students really not know the difference?

crcted.0920 (Medium)A reader sent me this note about cheating and asked that I put the issue before the Get Schooled blog readership:
I am wondering if you have done much on student cheating? I have read about teacher cheating but don’t remember anything on the student side of the equation.
Now that my child is in high school, I am amazed at what online resources are available at the click of the button. I am aware of an instance where a teacher used an online study guide as a test….most of the students used it (teacher was unaware it was public domain) and received 100 percent on the test.  Smart on the students’ part, I’d say yes. Lazy on the teacher’s part, I’d say yes.
I’ve had some discussions with parents. Teachers don’t change their test, and the students share what’s on the test with their classmates who have not taken yet taken it.
That is cheating. But the parents I’ve spoken to call it “collaboration” and see nothing wrong with it. Teachers are aware it goes on but say it is …