Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, March 15, 2013

Carrying Our Candles Through the Wind | The IDEA Blog

Carrying Our Candles Through the Wind | The IDEA Blog:


Carrying Our Candles Through the Wind

Posted by Dana Bennis on Mar 15, 2013 - 09:13 AM




There is deep value in sharing our stories, our successes, and our struggles in the work for education that creates a more just and sustainable society.  In that light, here is a guest post from Darcy Bedortha, IDEA Senior Fellow of the Oregon Place-Based Team.
 
I’ve been in a reflective mood lately. I find myself at a crossroads, a wagon wheel actually, with spokes of opportunity beckoning me to follow them in a multitude of directions. Two years ago I found a home for my heart’s work with IDEA, the Institute for Democratic Education in America. In the stretch of time since, I have seen and felt much hope; hope for what education could look like, hope for equity and justice, hope for democracy in this country I love.

I’ve studied many solid and successful models of education and met with passionate change-makers who, in a variety of forms