Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Why I oppose Common Core standards: Ravitch

Why I oppose Common Core standards: Ravitch:


Why I oppose Common Core standards: Ravitch

common-core21Education historian Diane Ravitch, the leading voice in the movement opposing corporate-based school reform, has for several years said she has no definitive opinion on the Common Core State Standards. Now she has come out against  them, in this post, which appeared todayon her blog.
This is the third Common Core post I am publishing today.
By Diane Ravitch
I have thought long and hard about the Common Core State Standards.
I have decided that I cannot support them. In this post, I will explain why.
I have long advocated for voluntary national standards, believing that it would be helpful to states and districts to have general guidelines about what students should know and be able to do as they progress through school. Such standards, I believe, should be voluntary, not 

Resistance to Common Core standards growing

Nearly all of the states and the District of Columbia have adopted the Common Core State Standards in English language arts and math and are in the process of getting ready to implement them by 2014. In a number of …Continue reading →

It’s the argument, stupid, not the text

One of the big points of contention over the Common Core involves how much fiction vs. nonfiction high school students should be reading. This was written by Gerald Graff,  professor of English and Education at the University of Illinois at … Continue reading →