Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, February 22, 2013

UPDATE: The In box. Jersey Jazzman: Chicago teachers have CORE and Lewis. « Fred Klonsky

The In box. Jersey Jazzman: Chicago teachers have CORE and Lewis. « Fred Klonsky:



A reader asks, “How can those of us not paying Illinois income tax say a whole lot about changing it?”

I assume my reader is referring to the fact that state pensions are not taxed.
So this is a good question.
Here are four  reasons why every Illinois citizen should support a progressive income tax. And why everyone has a right to speak out on the issue.
1. The current system in which the very rich and those who earn the very least are taxed at the same rate is not fair and is poor public policy. Why should a housekeeper at the Hyatt Regency hotel, who barely earns enough to meet her obligations from paycheck to paycheck, pay the same rate of state taxes as Penny Pritzker, the multi-millionaire heiress whose family owns the hotel?
2. The current system of taxation has led Illinois to be among the lowest taxing and lowest spending states in 



The In box. Jersey Jazzman: Chicago teachers have CORE and Lewis.

ravitchlewis
This world needs more women willing to speak truth to power. Diane Ravitch and Karen Lewis.
From the Jersey Jazzman’s blog:

Chicago Teachers, Be Thankful for Karen Lewis

 I have made a point of staying out of local union politics. While I have shared my disagreements at times with labor leaders, I am ultimately on their team. I made a point of not telling members of the Newark Teachers Union how to vote on their contract, although I made it clear that I had problems with the deal; I didn’t think it was right for me to demand another union member go on strike while I stayed safely in my job.So, I’ve kept away from taking sides in union votes. And I haven’t endorsed any candidates for labor union office.Until now.
Chicago teachers, you should know how lucky you are to have Karen Lewis as the president 


Illinois’ constitutional amendment for a progressive graduated income tax gains legislative support.

HJRCA 0002 is gaining support and sponsors in the Illinois House.
Influential Representative Barbara Flynn Currie has added her name as a chief co-sponsor to Representative Naomi D. Jakobsson’s bill. Elgie R. Sims, Jr.,Linda Chapa LaVia, Robyn Gabel and Esther Golar have also signed on as sponsors.
The synopsis of the bill:

Proposes to amend the Revenue Article of the Illinois Constitution. Provides that individual income taxes may be at a graduated or a non-graduated rate. Provides that any such tax imposed on corporations shall be at a non-graduated rate, not to exceed the average of the lowest and highest individual rates by more than a ratio of 8 to 5. Effective upon being declared adopted.

HJRCA 0002 and HB2404 now form the core of an affirmative legislative agenda for those fighting to defend public


Ten minute drawing. Mayor 2%.

Mayor 2%

Click on drawing to enlarge.