Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, February 19, 2013

The $400 senior dues bargain at KIPP High School | Gary Rubinstein's Blog

The $400 senior dues bargain at KIPP High School | Gary Rubinstein's Blog:


The $400 senior dues bargain at KIPP High School

A few months ago I visited the New York City KIPP High School and wrote a post about it.  That post was called ‘fair’ and ‘balanced’ by a lot of people on Twitter, which I’m happy about because it took a lot of restraint to write it that way.  As they were very gracious over there and gave me free reign to go wherever I wanted into whatever class for whatever amount of time, I didn’t want to be too rude of a guest.  I never said that I wouldn’t write about what I saw.  Nothing was ‘off the record.’
I also exercised restraint because I’ve known the two founders of KIPP, Dave Levin and Mike Feinberg for over 20 years.  They were not people I hung out with often when we were doing TFA in Houston at the same time, but they were people I saw at parties and have spent time with them over the years.  They were the subjects of my second letter to reformers I know.
I was hoping to get a response back from them, but since that doesn’t seem so likely, I’m not sure that a bridge that has already been burned can be burned again.  Anyway, for this post I’m going to share a photo I took.  This is not a really big incriminating thing, but maybe when I get warmed up I’ll give some more details about what I saw (and heard) in the future.
KIPP High School has a lot of money.  This is why their teachers only have to teach four classes a day, rather