Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, February 4, 2013

Christian Isaac- Good Riddance: 3 Small Steps for Mankind Student Voice

Student Voice:


Christian Isaac- Good Riddance: 3 Small Steps for Mankind

“The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education” ~ Albert Einstein
**
Education is a simple virtue. Teachers teach, and we students learn. That is the envisioned goal of education, specifically public education; to give knowledge to individuals; and by this, give them power. Education’s mission in its existence is to enrich our minds, give us the steps necessary for both extrinsic and intrinsic advancement, and to give us the tools we need to complete the tasks of life that we want to complete.
This contrasts the reality of public school, however. In my school, whose walls enclose a roaring symphony of motivation towards college, teachers hand me data and processes, then expect me to memorize them so that I can then repeat the data and processes for a test – the same way a retail manager instructs a clerk to use a cash register. I learn nothing. In my school, who boasts success behind the ramparts of a mistaken agenda, I am taught that to be a person who has a life that matters in society, I have to absorb all the words and numbers spat on me by my classes to punch grades into a grade book, and go on to college, then to a vain career whose complacency lies in its paycheck. In this present state of logic for our school districts and school boards, life is