Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Superintendent Banda ordered the administration at Garfield to give the MAP today + Malala Yousafzai - Unstoppable

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Malala Yousafzai - Unstoppable:


Malala Yousafzai - Unstoppable

Education matters and there are some in the world willing to fight for it (or die trying).

One of those is 14-year old Malala Yousafzai from Pakistan who was shot, point-blank in head, by Taliban supporters last year because of outspoken support of education for girls.  Her injuries were severe and she could have died.  She was left deaf in one ear and has sight problems.

But she didn't.

And not only is she alive, she's walking and talking.

She said yesterday:

Today you can see that I am alive. I can speak, I can see you, I can see everyone and … I am getting better 

Tuesday Open Thread

If you missed it, Superintendent Banda ordered the administration at Garfield to give the MAP today.  I don't know if that means administrators will give it or if they in turn will order the teachers (and see what the outcome is) but it may mean some high drama at Garfield.  I do know that many students are going to walk.

What's happening in SPS this week:
Wednesday
School Board meeting at 4:15 p.m.  Agenda.   Among the items:
- recognition to LEV for South Shore K-8.  I wonder if Chris Larson, who funds LEV for South Shore, will be there.
- update from school counselors
- vote on Creative Approach Waivers for Cleveland, Nova, Queen Anne, World School and Thornton Creek
- vote on Transportation Service Standards.  I really apologize for letting this one fall through the cracks.  I did