Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, February 26, 2013

NYC Educator: And Now for Something Completely Different …

NYC Educator: And Now for Something Completely Different …:


And Now for Something Completely Different …

by special guest reviewer Recovering ATR 

You might have heard of the movie Life of Pi. It just picked up a bunch of Academy Awards, and it was overall my favorite movie of the year. The thing is, all the teachers talked about how "Lincoln" would be a great movie to show in history class. I actually think the movie to show students is Life of Pi. And that is because I lived the Life of Pi.

No, I didn't get shipwrecked and stranded in the ocean with a huge tiger named Richard Parker. But I was recently involved in a personal situation that had become unbearable. I won't get into the details, but let's just say it exemplified "relation-ship wreck."

The whole situation left me with a lot of anger. I am not good at expressing anger. There are certain people who can really make mincemeat of the people they are angry at with a few choice words or a withering glance. I am not one of those people. Instead, I tend to bottle up all unpleasant feelings until one day I wake up and realize, "This cannot go on."

So (spoiler alert!) I did exactly what Pi did in the movie and book. I wrote a short story (actually two) that used