Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, February 18, 2013

MAKERS Moment with Cherríe Moraga, Chicana feminist « Feminist Teacher

MAKERS Moment with Cherríe Moraga, Chicana feminist « Feminist Teacher:


MAKERS Moment with Cherríe Moraga, Chicana feminist

Chicana feminist Cherríe Moraga and I at the MAKERS: Women Who Make America premiere in New York (photo credit, Ileana Jiménez).
Chicana feminist Cherríe Moraga and I at the MAKERS: Women Who Make America premiere in New York (photo credit, Ileana Jiménez).
In the spring of 1994 during my first year in college, Cherríe Moraga changed my life forever. Her essay “A Long Line of Vendidas” from Loving in the War Years gave me the language I would forever use to understand my brownness, my queer identity, and my feminism.
“To be a woman fully necessitated my claiming the race of my mother. My brother’s sex was white. Mine, brown.”
I recently met Moraga at the red carpet premiere of the MAKERS documentary Women Who Make America in New York. As I watched the first hour of the film during the premiere, I was excited to see a shot of the now