Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, February 8, 2013

UPDATE: The Ignored Commons: Our Children + Failed DC Chancellor Michelle Rhee is a terrible comedian – @ the chalk face

 Failed DC Chancellor Michelle Rhee is a terrible comedian – @ the chalk face:


The Ignored Commons: Our Children

I have recently discovered an Eleventh Commandment: “Thou shalt not speaketh to the folly of charter schools.”
When I explain that charter schools perform no better than public schools, and in many cases, create problems worse than the ones we need to reform in our current system (see my recent primer), I incite the ire of charter advocates, many of whom are middle-class and progressive. And this has led to another realization: Charter schools allow middle-class progressives the ability to appease guilt-free their inner (and closeted) Libertarian.
When I offer accurate, evidence-based generalizations about charter schools, they respond, “But my child’s charter school is wonderful and much better than the school we were zoned for!”
Setting aside that one example doesn’t disprove a generalization (or that we could easily find a parent of a child who would say the exact same thing but with zoned school and charter switched), this comment is about a 



 Failed DC Chancellor Michelle Rhee is a terrible comedian

Something was brought to my attention just yesterday and I thought I’d investigate. Emperor Rhee
Palpatine is all over the place because of her new book. I was told that she impersonated an African-American student during a welcome speech to DCPS teachers a couple of years back.
As it turns out, Bill Turque for DC Schools Insider already covered this speech in 2010 and raised very similar concerns, that her impersonation was a tad discomforting. Rhee is giving us a little anecdote of her two
weeksyears teaching in Baltimore City. She had a few students in her car after a field trip and was driving them home. Very hilarious! I’m not going to really go into the story, but here’s the transcript of her impersonation:
“I start to panic…my heart is beating 100 miles a minute,” she said. Then the other three children, sensing her worry, chimed in. She recalled one little boy saying:
“Lawwwd Ms.Rhee whatchu gonna do!!!!??” Rhee boomed, drawing a big laugh. “Lawwwd Ms. Rhee