Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Diane in the Evening 2-6-13Diane Ravitch's blog

Diane Ravitch's blog:








Uncommon assessments for common core?

Guest Post by Gary Rubinstein
garyrubinstein.teachforus.org
‘Rigor’ is in, and the common core standards promise to raise the achievement in this country by raising expectations which students always rise to meet.
As a staunch “status-quo defender,” it might surprise ‘reformers’ that I have some pretty radical ideas about how I’d change the math curriculum in this country if I could. While they tinker around with teacher evaluation formulas which could, at best, raise test scores by a little, I would like to see a complete overhaul of what we teach in math.
When I heard that the common core was going to address the problem that the math we teach is “a mile wide


MORNING UPDATE LISTEN TO DIANE RAVITCH 2-6-13 Diane Ravitch's blog

coopmike48 at Big Education Ape - 10 hours ago
Diane Ravitch's blog: [image: Click on picture to Listen to Diane Ravitch] Charter Schools and the New Segregation by dianerav A reader offers his observations: Charter Schools, a failure that cannot be measured. January 12, 2013 by Joe Hernandez As I drive happily and optimistically through our South Florida roads, I can’t fail to notice the familiar signs we are all accustomed to viewing, the burger chains, gas stations and the strip malls. As an educator and more specifically, a school psychologist, something catches my eye in a decrepit, run down strip mall, a charter school. ... more »