Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, February 15, 2013

Daily Kos: I have a problem with this

Daily Kos: I have a problem with this:


I have a problem with this

as I look at the front page right now, the top story is Bloomberg's Super PAC Endorses Robin Kelly in IL-02  and we read that it is spending on her behalf.
So in this race the big money player is on our side.
But that legitimizes the wealthy swamping the financial contributions of the rest of us.
To take the same Michael Bloomberg, there are some important school board races right now, and Bloomberg has weighed in with $1 million in favor of candidates who will support what is effectively the corporatizing of even more schools, by attempting to defeat two incumbent Board members who oppose that agenda.
While I understand those who say we cannot unilaterally disarm in the face of big money opposing us in things like the forthcoming IL primary, I still have a problem, because as Bloomberg demonstrates that big money from the same sources is just as likely to oppose us on other important races and issues.
I have no problem with Daily Kos motivating lots donors to give as individuals to a candidate like Kelly.
I do have a problem of moving away from the ideal of one man one vote to more dollars equals more votes, and