Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, February 11, 2013

Daily Kos: How the US is NOT number 1:

Daily Kos: How the US is NOT number 1::


How the US is NOT number 1:

The United States is one of only three countries that do not mandate paid parental leave out of 177 nations, according to researchers at McGill and Harvard universities. The other two are Papua New Guinea and Swaziland.
That is from an article today's Washington Post titled Landmark family leave law doesn’t help millions of workers.By the way, officially I am not covered, because I did not have 1250 hours in at my current school before Leaves on the Current found out about her cancer and I had to take time off.   So this is an issue on which I have some sensitivity.
Especially when I read something like this:
And even when workers are covered by the law, they are sometimes penalized for taking advantage of it, as court cases and 5,375 labor violations show. Workers covered by the law have been fired 


Krugman writes on "The Ignorance Caucus"

in this New York Times column, which I highly recommend.
He starts by noting that Eric Cantor last week gave what his office touted as a major speech, and that we should be glad they so informed us,
Otherwise, a read of the speech might have suggested that he was offering nothing more than a