Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, February 5, 2013

100 years since the birth of Rosa Parks : blue cheddar

100 years since the birth of Rosa Parks : blue cheddar:





100 years since the birth of Rosa Parks

“…The driver said that if I refused to leave the seat, he would have to call the police. And I told him, “Just call the police.” He then called the officers of the law. They came and placed me under arrest, violation of the segregation law of the city and state of Alabama in transportation. I didn’t think I was violating any. I felt that I was not being treated right, and that I had a right to retain the seat that I had taken as a passenger on the bus. The time had just come when I had been pushed as far as I could stand to be pushed, I suppose. They placed me under arrest.” I just got done listening to an archived WPR interview with the author of a newly released book entitled, “The Rebellious Life of Mrs. Rosa Parks”. I learned that Rosa Parks didn’t simply get tired that day, as some claim and she wasn’t “an NAACP plant” as the segregationists of the day said. She had her own political awareness and agency. She was raised in a home reverent of the famous Black nationalist and Pan-Africanist Marcus Garvey. When she met her husband he more »

Passing laws in Wisconsin now more like passing notes in school

Wisconsin’s Assembly has taken to passing around bills and voting on them sometimes. This is fine form if you’re in the 5th grade and sending a “Do you like me?” note to that guy you have a crush on, but if you’re dealing with matters of legally binding legislation – like hiring another attorney to help hide your redistricting documents – it’s not. (Hmm. Using a hidden vote process to further hide a hidden GOP redistricting process.) I see why the Wisconsin GOP prefers a process that helps free them from the pesky public. In fact, passing a paper ballot around is a meeting-free exercise. I predict most legislators will one day email their yays and nays from smart phones so they can perpetually nurse drinks at the Inn On The Park bar. Then what use is that expensive Capitol building? Be on the look-out for a no-bid contract for a domed building in the 53703 zip code. “When Assembly leaders last week wanted to hire an attorney and add new costs to the $1.9 million already spent on a legal fight over legislative districts, they didn’t call an open committee meeting. Instead, GOP leaders circulated a paper ballot with more »