Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, January 7, 2013

Tara Subramaniam Inside a Listening Session | Student Voice

Tara Subramaniam Inside a Listening Session | Student Voice:


Tara Subramaniam Inside a Listening Session

Inside a Listening Session
(cross posted from the Cooperative Catalyst) http://www.imagininglearning.us/#!student-experiences-short-articles/c249z
Over the summer, when David Loitz sent out a request for Imagining Learning Listening Session planners, I said, “Why not?” and agreed to organize one. Months later, after numerous emails back and forth between David, Charles Kouns (the founder of Imagining Learning) and Mr. Bo Adams (my old teacher, who was helping me put it all together), I filled out my consent to be recorded form and knew that the day was finally here.
On November 15, I arrived at Unboundary for the “Listening Session,” full of energy, but unsure of what to expect. I’d heard that a Listening Session was an opportunity to share ideas on what we, as students, imagined school should be. What I found was a fun, small, thoughtful community, bursting with ideas and jokes and smiles. With 6 other students from schools around the metro Atlanta area, led by Mr. Kouns and his partner, Stella