Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

One New Activity I’m Doing To Help ELLs Learn Academic Vocabulary – & Practice Speaking It | Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day…

One New Activity I’m Doing To Help ELLs Learn Academic Vocabulary – & Practice Speaking It | Larry Ferlazzo’s Websites of the Day…:


One New Activity I’m Doing To Help ELLs Learn Academic Vocabulary – & Practice Speaking It

One of my students’ favorite activities, and one that I believe is very effective, is several times a week getting together in assigned small groups to practice conversational English. They all have a “cheat sheet” of about seventy different questions and answers that is in our book, The ESL/ELL Teacher’s Survival Guide and practice asking and answering each others questions. Of course, if you don’t have our book, you can easily come up with your own “cheat sheet.”
Periodically, I ask students what other kinds of topics they want to practice, they come up with more questions, and I put them together on additional sheets — which they all glue into their notebooks.
My combination Beginners/Intermediate class has a wide enough range that the groups can work on their own with me just walking around between them.
This semester, however, I gained several excellent twelfth-graders who work as peer tutors during one of my class’ periods. I’ve assigned each one to a small group, and have given each of my students and them copies of