Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, January 30, 2013

NYC Educator: Maybe It's a Female Thing

NYC Educator: Maybe It's a Female Thing:


Maybe It's a Female Thing

That's what my supervisor said to me today. Someone called me on my cell phone, looking for my wife. She was from my daughter's school and didn't seem to want to talk to me. I was a little upset with that explanation. I said it wasn't fair. Women can say, "It's a female thing," shut you out, tell you nothing, and look knowingly at one another. Naturally you could never comprehend such a thing because you are an insensitive unintelligent galoot.

I protested, along with the one other male teacher in my department. I said we never say, "It's a male thing," to explain things. At this point one of the women in the room revealed one of the great secrets that has eluded me over my lifetime. She said if we were in a circle of women, we'd hear that all the time. I found that absurd. How could we be in a circle of women? For one thing, if we were in it, it would no