Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, January 24, 2013

Gionni Crawford – How students with disabilities can succeed in college - Student Voice

Student Voice:


Gionni Crawford – How students with disabilities can succeed in college

If you are a college student with a disability, whether it is cognitive or physical, it is important that you understand your rights. You must learn to embrace self-advocacy, which is, effectively communicating and asserting your rights and interests as a student with a documented disability.
As a college student with a cognitive disability myself, I understand that there are other students, like me, who need guidance and reassurance to pursue higher education.
A few years ago, I was struck by a car while crossing the street on my bike and diagnosed with a closed-head injury. After my accident, I was placed in special education courses while still in high school. I was not diagnosed with a disability until late in my sophomore year.
That being said, here are a few things college students need to take advantage of at their institution:

Disability Support Services (DSS)
Many students who received support services in high school can easily do the same in college. DSS is there to advocate for you and ensure the school does not violate your rights. Each department at each school has its