Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, January 13, 2013

Engaging with Godzilla « Cooperative Catalyst

Engaging with Godzilla « Cooperative Catalyst:


Engaging with Godzilla

I am Godzilla! Hear me roar!
I am Godzilla!  Hear me roar!“We are bad Godzillas!”  I heard the familiar husky little voice of a 4-year-old student at my school while I was out working in the recess yard of my school.  This boy, Vlad often exhibits a somewhat negative influence on the world around him, and is the source of many student complaints and staff hand-wringing.  The verbal warning here was clear: Vlad, and his little three-year-old protégé, Thomas, were bent on destruction.  They were out to terrorize the land.  During their roaring parade through the yard, I overheard one teacher warn, “it’s okay to pretend to be Godzillas, but not really hurt.”
“We’re not pretend!  We’re REAL!”  Vlad retorted.  Followed by, “You’re stupid!” and on they went.  This message seemed pretty clear.  Vlad did not appreciate being seen as impotent.  He was powerful, strong, and