Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, January 26, 2013

DeKalb teacher: If you want good teachers to stay in your school, please let them know | Get Schooled

DeKalb teacher: If you want good teachers to stay in your school, please let them know | Get Schooled:


DeKalb teacher: If you want good teachers to stay in your school, please let them know

Mike Ritter/AJC
Mike Ritter/AJCA DeKalb teacher sent me this note, which I thought was worth sharing here:
I am an occasional commenter on your blog “Get Schooled,” but a frequent reader. Many, many parents and teachers I know follow it as well. Since I teach in DeKalb, you realize how I cannot use my real name…I sure wish that could change. I’m counting down the number of teaching days I have left until I can escape. The decline in morale is crushing and this has been a crushing week. I’m not sure how you select what letters you print, but I wrote this up after waking up in the middle of the night and not being able to sleep.
There is a lot of griping and hand wringing by parents and teachers alike on this blog, as well as an ample supply of teacher bashing. However, the suggestions of constructive positive actions to be taken are few and far between. It’s no secret that teacher morale is low and, in DeKalb, keeps getting lower with every news cycle.
If there was a way to impact the work …