Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, January 20, 2013

An Urban Teacher's Education: Life Lessons: 2012 (Whoops, I Forgot Some Things!)

An Urban Teacher's Education: Life Lessons: 2012 (Whoops, I Forgot Some Things!):


Life Lessons: 2012 (Whoops, I Forgot Some Things!)

I was reflecting on my last post, I realized there were a few more things that really changed my thinking last year.

4) You want to teach somebody something? Better be sure you've got the cred to do it. 

I was watching The Interrupters sometime last spring, a documentary about people interrupting violence in Chicago. And there's this part about three quarters of the way through when Ameena (one of the interrupters - you have to see it) connects with this young woman who you can tell hates herself on the inside. She's angry and confused and frustrated and doesn't know how to move forward in life. But she's still listening to Ameena. She's connecting. Ammena's been through what she's going through. Ameena reminds her of herself.

And I thought back to one of my first years teaching - about a student I had in class just like the one Ameena worked with in the documentary. This girl was also angry and hurt by the world, but she didn't listen to me the