Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, January 28, 2013

A Review of Django Unchained « Larry Miller's Blog: Educate All Students!

A Review of Django Unchained « Larry Miller's Blog: Educate All Students!:


A Review of Django Unchained

I spent years teaching U.S. history in MPS. I focused on African-American experience in U.S. history and its meaning today. When the movie Django Unchained was released this year, written and directed by Quentin Tarantino, I planned not to see it because of my low respect for his work. But there has been so much discussion about the movie, I decided to see it so I could compare its depiction to the narrative I had established with my students over the years in teaching about slavery. Following is my review of the movie, hoping that my students (many whom I am still in contact with because of Facebook) and others will find some value with my thoughts.
Tarantino Bloodies the Truth: A History Teacher’s Lament
By Larry Miller
As a U.S. history teacher, I taught high school students that resistance to slavery was pervasive. Whether it was the open rebellion of Nat Turner, the Denmark Vesey conspiracy, the battle of the Negro Fort, the publication of