Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, December 4, 2012

Will Classrooms be "Flipped" to Cut Costs? - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher

Will Classrooms be "Flipped" to Cut Costs? - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher:


Will Classrooms be "Flipped" to Cut Costs?

Guest post by Rob Powers.
My name is Rob Powers and I am a social studies teacher in Massachusetts. Like all teachers, my effectiveness as an educator has improved dramatically in the first few years of my career. It has been a rigorous but rewarding process. Just as I ask my students to become life-long learners, I am constantly motivated to improve my practice and reach kids in new ways.
Two years ago, a Google search changed my entire teaching practice. I was searching for "social studies technology projects" and stumbled upon a robust online professional learning community of like-minded colleagues; teachers from across the country and beyond who network through Twitter, blogs, and more. I can't even begin to express my gratitude for my newfound PLC.
The tech integration method I am most excited about is the flipped classroom. By making brief videos of me explaining the lecture notes I typically give in class, I can spend a third of class time reviewing the concepts