Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, December 10, 2012

Union! I'm Stickin' to the Union! - Teacher in a Strange Land - Education Week Teacher

Union! I'm Stickin' to the Union! - Teacher in a Strange Land - Education Week Teacher:

Teacher in a Strange Land


Union! I'm Stickin' to the Union!

Well, it's official. Come tomorrow, Michigan teachers will live and work in a Right to Work state. In thirty-odd years of working as a Michigan educator, the one boundary I was sure would never be crossed has been swept away by a group of short-sighted legislators and One Tough Nerd.  As I type this, rumors are swirling. State employees planning a walkout! State police instructed to barricade the city of Lansing! National Lawyers Guild rounding up observers and stand-by defense lawyers. Most of these rumors have some heft behind them. Here's a set of facts. It's Wisconsin, all over again--only potentially worse. And once again, the governor has decided to separate teachers and nurses (hint: women) from police and firefighters. In that spirit, I am re-printing a blog first published in March 2011, which explains why professional educators