Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, December 26, 2012

Top Ed-Tech Trends of 2012: The Platforming of Education | Inside Higher Ed

Top Ed-Tech Trends of 2012: The Platforming of Education | Inside Higher Ed:


Top Ed-Tech Trends of 2012: The Platforming of Education

Part 8 of my Top Ed-Tech Trends of 2012 series
An Introductory Sidenote
In late 2007, Web browser pioneer, entrepreneur, and now venture capitalist Marc Andreessen wrote a really great blog post about Internet platforms. When I decided I’d write about education platforms as one of my Top Ed-Tech Trends, I immediately searched for it. I had only a vague recollection of what Andreessen had written. But I figured it’d give a good definition of Internet platforms and be an interesting frame for what I wanted to say about the “platforming of education." Because, ya know, it’s Marc Andreessen. (Link to Wikipedia entry, in case you don’t know.) 
Slight problem: some time in 2009, Andreessen deleted most of his blog posts, including that one.
So a shout-out of thanks here to the folks who archived much of the site. And also, WTF Marc Andreessen deleting his blog?!
Defining the Education Platform
We throw the term “platform” around a lot in tech-speak, using it to refer to everything from software to hardware, from applications to operating systems, from websites to the Web and the Internet itself. In tech-marketing-speak, “platform” is often meant to invoke greatness or aspirations thereof: to become a platform is a goal — “the