Latest News and Comment from Education

Sunday, December 2, 2012

One Size Fits All? | Connected Principals

One Size Fits All? | Connected Principals:


One Size Fits All?


flickr image via cameronparkins
Cross posted from KARE Givers @ seangrainger.com
My school (formerly a sixth to eighth grade middle school,) is now an inquiry-focused, sciences and technology kindergarten to eighth grade school… elements that when put together can also be called my dream job. The school is in its third year of this paradigm shift toward a custom-built K-8 inquiry, sciences and technology context. We believe that our new school context creates an optimal environment to perpetuate the learning goals of our District.
The inquiry part of what we’re doing at our school is what I want to focus on here. What is inquiry, and how are we building an inquiry-based school? This is the inquiry question we’ve been working on answering. To me, the process of answering this question is what’s so exciting about being part of Glendale school’s transformation. Our group of teachers are all at different places in their understanding of inquiry, technology and sciences, and that is not only OK, it is expected in an inquiry-based learning environment. We all have personal learning tendencies. Some like to go fast, take risks and make mistakes… others are more cautious and calculated, but


True Leaders

This is a post, shared by Heidi Hass Gable, and re-shared here with her permission.
"True Leaders quote by Heidi Hass Gable"
True Leaders
I gave a job reference a while ago for someone I admire greatly. As I’ve reflected on that conversation, I find that I keep coming back to one idea in particular.
The interviewer asked me, near the end, if there’s any one thing I’d like to highlight or to say (that I hadn’t said already)? Was there a final impression I wanted to leave with the hiring committee?
I was quiet for a moment. Was there? Had I said enough and covered all I wanted to say? I waited to see what would emerge.
And something did…
I said “This may sound trivial, but I really want to