Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, December 15, 2012

DIARY OF A PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER!: I Cried for Connecticut

DIARY OF A PUBLIC SCHOOL TEACHER!: I Cried for Connecticut:


I Cried for Connecticut


I wanted to cry. When the teacher across the hall told me, I wanted to cry.  I couldn't. I had 23 kids in my room, immersed in trying to build a container that would keep an ice cube frozen. They were working. Full of life, joy, and curiosity. Something a crazed gunman had just taken from 20 children. Something he had taken from 7 adults.

When someone says, "How are your kids?" I tend to say, "Which ones?" Meaning my kids I gave birth to or my kids in my class. I am sure I am not the only teacher who feels this way. They are our kids. And no matter what they take us through, just like our kids, we want to keep them safe. We want them in an environment where they, and their loved ones, know they are loved and cared for. But he took that away from them yesterday. Just as others have done before.

It's obvious from reading the articles each time this happens, that teachers are Mama and Papa bears when it