Latest News and Comment from Education

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Daily Kos: Your rights end at the point of my nose

Daily Kos: Your rights end at the point of my nose:


Your rights end at the point of my nose

no rights are absolute.  At some points the Constitution makes that clear - in the 5th (and 14th) Amendment you can be denied the most basic rights of life and liberty via due process of law.
Rights are often in conflict.  And because an assertion of an unlimited and unrestricted right on behalf of one party inevitably means the diminishment of the rights and liberty of another, all rights are restricted in some circumstances.
The right to keep and bear arms as an individual, even if I do not believe should be based on the 2nd Amendment, which speaks not of individuals but of the people collectively, nevertheless would be guaranteed as an unenumerated right on the 9th Amendment (although Right-wingers do not like the 9th because of Roe v Wade).
You may have the right to freely swing your arms, but I have the right to keep the shape of my nose, so the limits of that freedom for you are at the point of my nose.
Those who insist upon their rights being absolute and unfettered even at the expense of the liberty and safety of others are to my mind sociopathic.  That applies to those who assert unfettered personhood for corporate