Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, December 1, 2012

Daily Kos: A Saturday morning reflection - once again

Daily Kos: A Saturday morning reflection - once again:


A Saturday morning reflection - once again

It used to be my regular practice before I "retired" to head off to my local Starbucks on a Saturday morning, grab myself a vente half-calf ("no room") and sit down and offer my reflections, fueled by a combination of thinking about what had happened in my classroom the previous week as well as things that might be in the news.
Now that I am again back in the classroom, I will see if it makes sense for me to continue the practice.  Except this morning I write from a room in my house, as I will not have time for Starbucks today, as I will explain anon.
I have already offered several pieces about what I am doing:  in so teacherken is going back into the classroom I explained my decision to take the opportunity that had been offered to me to teach in a high-needs non-profit charter middle school where several people I greatly respect worked;  then I followed up the following week withsome observations from a classroom in which I describe in some detail the setting in which I now teach  (this piece was picked up by Alternet for its Education newblast);  finally, early this week I offered My teaching adventure continues, in which I gave a sense of where things were after a week in the classroom.  This community was kind enough to give each of these a lot of attention.
So I will not talk as much about my classroom, but offer a somewhat broader reflection, to which I invite your attention below the squiggle.