Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, December 15, 2012

Daily Kos: An important column from Gail Collins

Daily Kos: An important column from Gail Collins:


An important column from Gail Collins

in today's New York Times, with the title Looking for America.  My wife called it to my attention because it begins with someone I consider a close friend, Rep. Carolyn McCarthy:
“I’m sorry,” said Representative Carolyn McCarthy, her voice breaking. “I’m having a really tough time.”She’s the former nurse from Long Island who ran for Congress in 1996 as a crusader against gun violence after her husband and son were victims of a mass shooting on a commuter train. On Friday morning, McCarthy said, she began her day by giving an interview to a journalist who was writing a general story about “how victims feel when a tragedy happens.”
“And then 15 minutes later, a tragedy happens.”
There is more in the article, both from McCarthy, and about the President's reaction.I want to offer a few thoughts beyond the column.