Latest News and Comment from Education

Friday, December 21, 2012

Common Core’s One Goal: To Create Common People | Truth in American Education

Common Core’s One Goal: To Create Common People | Truth in American Education:


Common Core’s One Goal: To Create Common People

This is from a teacher in Indiana, Kris Nielsen, who was an avid supporter of the Common Core State Standards, he did a presentation on the Common Core for parents to ease their concerns.  Now he apologizes for that and says they should be concerned:
First, I want to offer you my apologies.  It wasn’t long after my presentation that I had a crushing realization that the entire thing (minus the hands-on stuff) was completely misguided.  I felt like a flip-flopper, but I’ve always valued the truth more than feeling good.  So, I’m here to clear the air.  The truth hurts and it should start scaring the hell out of you, because your children are your most precious gift and you will do anything to protect them.
The whole reason I was part of the team that put those presentations together was to ease your worry about the changes that were coming.  I’m here to retract everything I said.  You should be worried.  Very worried!
I was wrong.  The Common Core State Standards is a sham, the Smarter Balanced Assessment 


Opaqueness and Closed Government

Jay P. Greene’s Blog “Head Start Manipulating Scumbags” starts off with an excellent video clip that has more global applicability than just addressing Head Start.
Popout
Jay P. Greene says:
I should repeat that the researchers have done an excellent job evaluating Head Start in this case.  It is the bureaucratic class at the Department of Health and Human Services who have cynically manipulated, delayed, and misreported this research.  The pending report is already delayed several years and has been around for a long time.  The decision to release it on the Friday afternoon before Christmas is completely calculated.
Does this sound familiar to you—“cynically manipulated, delayed, and misreported this research”?  When the