Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Top 10 List Of Things To Do For NYC Teachers Going To Work On Friday | The Jose Vilson

Top 10 List Of Things To Do For NYC Teachers Going To Work On Friday | The Jose Vilson:


Top 10 List Of Things To Do For NYC Teachers Going To Work On Friday


NYC schools are officially closed on Friday … for students. For teachers, Mayor Bloomberg and Chancellor Walcott sent out a memo to all teachers and administrators to go back to school on Friday. The cynical me remembers the few days in the school year when I tell my students they don’t have school but I do and they giggle and point, to which I reply, “It’s OK. We don’t want you here, either.” Gasps from them. “Just kidding.” Exhale. “Kinda.”
The more serious side of me wonders what the heck we’re going to do on a November day. I mean, I had this really awesome unit on scientific notation that ended with us trying to estimate how far the planets were away from each other, and it would have ended with a quiz that I’m sure they would have aced on average. Then, it got me thinking: none of us, and I mean NONE of us, actually knows what we’re going to do tomorrow.
Instead of kvetching about why Bloomberg and Walcott came to this decision, I’ve compiled a list of things