Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Thinking about School Reform, Teaching, and “Great” Teachers | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

Thinking about School Reform, Teaching, and “Great” Teachers | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice:


Thinking about School Reform, Teaching, and “Great” Teachers

Writing about school reform from a historical perspective can be, well, depressing. So many examples of hype-on-steroids, past and present, of school reform solving community and national problems. So much policy talk, past and present, that overestimates success while underestimating the difficulties of converting words into classroom deeds. But melancholia and teaching a seminar twice a week do not go hand-in-hand.
For me, teaching about school reform and the history of making “good” schools and districts stimulates the brain and clutches the heart. It lifts me up. My mind races with the questions that I need to ask students. And in asking questions, who do I call upon, which student to probe further with a follow-up question, what to do when a student asks me a question–answer it? Redirect to the class? Ask student to