Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, November 3, 2012

Teachers, You Must Do This - MyEdNext

Teachers, You Must Do This - MyEdNext:



I fought many battles with you over the years. I've organized rallies, spoken out, written articles, lobbied against harmful bills, brought speakers to enlighten others, and testified against a movement to privatize public education.

For this reason, I feel comfortable saying this:  YOU MUST VOTE.
You feel betrayed by this administration. I get that.  I really do.  I am in awe of all you do and all you have endured the past three years alone.  You do this for the love of teaching because the money sure isn't there.  But your passion has been tested with many outside 'reformers' dissecting, overhauling, and now dismantling your profession.

Some of you have told me you're angry enough to cast aside your vote.  But you simply cannot do that.  This will be a close race and no doubt a hotly contested race in the end.

I'm not a union leader or even a union member. I'm not a fellow teacher or your Superintendent asking you to vote.  I am your friend in the trenches asking you to do what you always have done - put the children first. Do this for them.   YOU MUST VOTE.

Governor Romney and his wife already said many times they plan to 'toss out public education' and that the answer lies in privatized charters.  Governor Romney also said that technology over teachers would help the nation on the road to recovery. That's right he thinks our children should have HAL the computer over Hal the cool science teacher. That will save money, he says.  (Just not for his grandchildren, I suppose.)

Do not let your anger blind you from the fact that if you toss your vote away, you are handing the election over to Governor Romney which will unquestionably spell the end of public education.
We won't struggle together over opposing failed reforms, or destructive legislation.  Public schools will vanish.

It is up to you.  VOTE FOR PRESIDENT OBAMA.  Bring your colleagues, your family, your neighbors out to vote.  Every child in our nation needs you to vote.  Do it for them.  Don't stubbornly toss your vote away.  Not now.  Not this election.

I assure you I'll be there the day after election continuing to battle these egregious education reforms together alongside you.  But we'll at least still have a public education system to work to improve.

I pray that President Obama had an epiphany while touring our nation during his campaign. He might realize that there are millions like us who think some of these failed education reforms must come to an end. There is hope in that.  There is no hope handing the keys to our nation over to a man who has already told you he plans to 'blow up' public education.

Teachers, administrators, counselors, staff, principals, I beg you and those who spoke with me over many months -- do not hand this presidency over to Governor Romney by choosing not to vote. Please.