Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Subverting the System | I was thinking…

Subverting the System | I was thinking…:

Subverting the System





When it comes to parents being included in educational discussions or decision making processes, I’ve repeatedly heard two themes emerge:
1) “We ASKED and no one responded!” Teachers/administrators send out emails, ask for feedback, send surveys, host parent ed or parent-teacher interview times – and few (if any) parents respond. So why do it? Why bother trying? The frustration during these conversations has been palpable. And this has come from educators that I know well – and I know they honestly WANT parent input.

2) “But parents don’t understand – uninformed voices don’t BELONG in these discussions. You need to earn your right to be involved in decision making…” I admit – I’ve seen parents or parent groups “demand” things that are short sighted or misguided. For example, parent groups in my Province demanded more information about how their kids are doing, and government responded by making it mandatory that Grade 4 & 7