Latest News and Comment from Education

Thursday, November 1, 2012

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Fairly Unified on the Education Front Against I-1240

Seattle Schools Community Forum: Fairly Unified on the Education Front Against I-1240:


Fairly Unified on the Education Front Against I-1240

The No On I-1240 campaign has released an open letter rejecting I-1240.  The people listed represent those from 260 school districts across Washington State.  That's nearly 90% of the school districts in the state. 

“The open letter shows that opposition to I-1240 is not bound by geography or income,” said Michael DeBell, Seattle School Board President. “It’s a bad plan for every student and parent in Washington, and that’s why so many people who have looked into I-1240 have come out against it.”

I was just at the Superintendent's State of the District event (more on that later) and there was a press conference downstairs at Perkins Coie with the Superintendent, President DeBell, our SPS labor leaders and other Board directors.  They all had a unified message - I-1240 is wrong for our state and our districts.

 President DeBell stressed that the timing for this discussion about charters is wrong until the McCleary decision is fully vetted and a plan rolled out for our EXISTING schools.  Indeed this has been the message from day one from both NO campaigns - we need to fully fund our existing schools before any new school system comes into being.