Latest News and Comment from Education

Monday, November 12, 2012

Schools Matter: Obama Pushes Apartheid Charter Movement in Georgia Over the Top

Schools Matter: Obama Pushes Apartheid Charter Movement in Georgia Over the Top:


Obama Pushes Apartheid Charter Movement in Georgia Over the Top

My first year of teaching was in Georgia in 1971, one year after the end of segregation in Washington County, where I would teach Title I English at TJ Elder Jr. High School.  The personnel director (before people became human resources) wore a white suit and white patent leather loafers, and he grinned widely as he told me that he was glad to welcome another young white family to Sandersville.

The head of the little English department at Elder was little blue-haired woman who leaned against the door frame as I dug around the book room looking for something, I didn't know what, that would be good for my students, who were almost all black, since the year before private Baptist academies had sprung up all over Georgia to keep the white children away the black ones.  The department chair told me I shouldn't be worrying too much about choosing books that would work, for as said, smiling sweetly, "after all, Mr. Horn, a nigra is a