Latest News and Comment from Education

Saturday, November 10, 2012

Must Teachers Shut Down Our Compassion to Survive Education Reform? - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher

Must Teachers Shut Down Our Compassion to Survive Education Reform? - Living in Dialogue - Education Week Teacher:


Must Teachers Shut Down Our Compassion to Survive Education Reform?

Yesterday I received a message from a reader. She wrote:

I am convinced that educators in this country have lost their senses. At least, they seem to have lost their consciences.

I sent your blog - What Hurricane Sandy is Teaching Us About Students Under Stress - to my fellow teachers this week. No one responded to the post via e-mail. I can understand that, since our school e-mails are monitored. But no one would talk to me about the "storms" our kids are living through when I mentioned your article at school.

Now, you may think, this is not unusual and that educators, in general, are not conscious of