Latest News and Comment from Education

Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Math Professor Teaches High School Classes (Darryl Yong) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice

Math Professor Teaches High School Classes (Darryl Yong) | Larry Cuban on School Reform and Classroom Practice:


Math Professor Teaches High School Classes (Darryl Yong)

Darryl Yong is a professor of mathematics at Harvey Mudd College in Claremont (CA). For the entire PDF, see rtx121001408pDarry Yong
During the 2009–2010 academic year I did something unusual for a university mathematician on sabbatical: I taught high school mathematics in a large urban school district. This might not be so strange except that my school does not have a teacher preparation program and only graduates a few students per year who intend to be teachers.
Why did I do this? I, like many of you, am deeply concerned about mathematics education and I wanted to see what a typical high school in my city is like. Because I regularly work with high school mathematics teachers, I